Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Christmas Cookies


*I posted this on an old blog I used to update, but have since discontinued.  My sister-in-law requested the recipe, so here it is...THE SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE!*


I'm probably best known for my frosted sugar cookies. Let's get one thing straight: the sugar cookies are all about the frosting. The cookie is simply the vehicle for creamy, buttery frosting. I wonder how many sugar cookies I've cut out over the years??? I make pumpkins for Halloween and candy canes, bells, trees, angels, etc. for Christmas. The funny thing is, I never grow tired of it. Maybe it's because I know everyone loves them. That's the wonderful thing about baking...everyone loves sugar...it makes people happy.
Here are my secrets for irresistible sugar cookies:

1. Roll out the dough THICK. I'd say it's about 1/4 inch. You may make fewer cookies from the batch, but they're better cookies, because they end up being soft and chewy instead of crispy.

2. Take the cookies out BEFORE they start to brown around the edges. They may seem like they're not done, but they are. I always know the cookies are ready to come out of the oven because the dough goes from shiny to dull. The cookies will bake a bit more on the pan outside of the oven before you remove them to a wire rack.

3. Almond extract in the frosting. Forget vanilla. Almond extract makes all the difference in the world.

4. Butter. Do people seriously still use margarine in anything?

Sugar Cookies for Cutouts
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Cream together:
1 cup shortening
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
Combine mixtures and roll into two separate balls. Chill for two hours. Bake at 375 for 7-8 minutes. (Every oven is different---take my advice from above for doneness.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am anxious to try your recipe! Please post the one you use for frosting too! I used to live in Minot and have followed, and prayed for, the Olsons since the plane flew overhead taking Natalie to Minn. Thank you for sharing your life even with those you do not know.

Unknown said...

Ok, I am new to leaving comments and for reasons unknown to me, it is asking me to comment on my own comment and it won't let me off this page til I do. So ... I have.

Natalie Beatrice Olson said...

Awww...thank you, Sherry! I have to admit, I don't really have a recipe for my frosting, but here is what I do:

Mix 1/2 stick of softened (room temp) butter with about 3-4 cups of powdered sugar. Add in a little bit of heavy cream, half and half or whole milk...whatever you have on hand. When it gets to a good spreading consistency, I add in a dash of salt, then about 1/2 teaspoon of pure almond extract. It's pretty potent, so start small, then add more if you want more almond flavoring.

I hope it turns out well for you, Sherry! Good luck!