Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

There's No Place Like Home

Exactly five months ago today, we drove away from our home, knowing that it would soon be inundated by the Mouse River.  We didn't know what we would come back to, or when we would be able to return, but one thing we always knew: we were coming back.

So, here we are...five months later.  WE'RE BACK.

I cannot express in typed words the excitement I feel being back in our home, but I can tell you that it is all very bittersweet.  Yes, we have a beautiful new place to call home, but I would give it ALL back in a heartbeat if our family and friends could have their homes back.  It's been a nightmare of a summer and fall, but I have faith that things will get better for everyone very soon.  

Now, before I show you what our home looks like today, let's take a trip back to February of 2010, the day we closed on our house at #5 Fairway.  This was our kitchen/family room before:


And here is our kitchen a few days ago:
Now, take a look at it with the pretty lights installed:

Here's my favorite part (the floor):
Calvin enjoys the new seating.  No more high chair!
I took these pictures randomly over the past couple of weeks, so some of the projects appear to be a work in progress, but are actually finished.  This is the master bath flooring, minus the grout.
 This is the main bath flooring, finished.  
It's the same color of tile, but this picture shows the color better.
The carpet is in in our bedroom...
 ...and Calvin's room.
And now for Natalie's room.  I found this fantastic chandelier online that I fell in love with--I knew it needed to go in Natalie's room.
It's one of my favorite things about the new house!!

Okay, so to be truthful, we've moved back in, but the house isn't truly finished yet.  The final plumbing work is set for Wednesday, so we don't have running water.  Our appliances aren't hooked up, either, so no cooking here just yet.  Thank goodness we have a FEMA trailer on our lot (Jim & Lori's), because that means we can live here NOW!  

I promise to add more pictures soon---but it's late and I still have an episode of "Castle" to watch before I call it a night.  Sweet dreams, everyone!

4 comments:

Jana Everitt said...

Melissa and Perry, Your home is so pretty. I am so happy for you that are finally back home. What a great feeling. I hope you have a wonderful Holiday seasons in your new home. Lots of prayers and love. Jana Everitt

Alysia Huck said...

How exciting for you, and a long time coming! A new chapter for your family and what a sweet chapter it will be! Alysia

Bethany said...

Your house is beautiful! So glad you're able to finally be home.

Heidi (Luithle) Lindsay said...

What a Beautiful NEW Look, LOVE LOVE the lights, and that Chandelier. Congrats, Perry & Family