Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Junkyard

Okay--lots of pictures today, although these are actually from yesterday (Saturday morning). First of all, I would like to say that the pictures simply don't do justice to just how bad it is down in the valley. It's hard to explain just how depressing it is to see the guts of everyone's homes on the curb. Being down there makes me feel weird--my head starts to spin a little, I'm sure from all of the junk floating around in the air.

_____


So the first picture is looking down Souris Drive, where the Red Cross and Salvation Army can often be found handing out water and meals. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!





___________________________



#5 Fairway is a mess! The guys working on the house are doing an amazing job---Perry says it's the best investment we've ever made. I agree wholeheartedly!



______________________




For those who have been in our house before, this is looking from the front door toward the old closet and in through the laundry room. Weird. That's the old fireplace on the left.



________________



No ceiling in the living room.




_____________




Looking from the kitchen into the laundry room and living room. The old built in china cabinet is gone...*tear*.





_______________



The kitchen. There used to be a window and door where our our cooktop and fridge were.
________________


The back of the fireplace. We're taking this down to make room for a larger, handicap-accessible bathroom for Natalie. I'm sure the guys are looking forward to THAT job! :)



____________________




The "great" room. I'm told our ceilings there can likely be salvaged. I hope so!




______________________


I am really not sure where this picture was taken, but I'll guess we're looking back toward the bedrooms.




___________________



Another view of the ceiling.




___________________


Junk pile in our yard...I wish the Corps would make a trip through the neighborhood to take the garbage away. However, since it is the Corps' job, I'm guessing they'll let it sit there until people start getting hurt, then take it away and declare it "a success."



_______________________


This is my neighborhood...a pile of trash with pickups mixed in. I wonder when it will ever return to "normal."



_______________________


My old stove is on the front lawn---still stuck on 12:54.




______________________




I'm ecstatic that I will have a brand new oven when we move back. Woohoo! Maybe I'll get serious about a baking business... :)


_________________




There she is...#5 Fairway with a big pile of junk in front of her.

Sanitizing is likely to begin tomorrow, then we let it dry for a week or two. We're currently trying to figure out how we want to remodel the place so that it fits Natalie's needs and is good for us as well. This includes a new, much larger bathroom/laundry room and a master bath with walk-in closet...I never thought I'd get that! We also need to decide on windows and doors soon. I have a lot of ideas; now I just need to channel them and start picking things out.



The good thing is that things have dried out down there, so it doesn't smell quite as bad as it used to, although it's still a stinky mess. I'm looking forward to the day when we'll all be together again as a neighborhood talking about the flood of 2011 in past tense.

3 comments:

pearsnan said...

This will most certainly be a flood for the history record books! What good ideas you have for improvements! You are certainly making lemonade from life's lemons!

Jana Everitt said...

Your plans for your fixing your home sound exciting. I know it would of been better to have done it on your own terms and in your own time. I am excited for you and your family and I hope you are able to get everything you want in your new home. I wanted to suggest that when you look at new stoves you consider a convection oven. I bought one when we built our home and I have enjoyed it. I can bake 3 sheets of cookies at one time which is so nice when I work full time. It would be nice for you with being so busy with the kids. Also I was wondering if I could donate some money to you and Perry to help you fix up your house. I am not rich but I would rather give it directly to someone who could benefit than to have it eaten by adminstration fees. Would you post an address that a check could be sent to.

Natalie Beatrice Olson said...

Hi Jana,

That is so kind of you! I agree that giving to individual families is the best way to go and we really appreciate that you have chosen us. Our address is: 5 Fairway, Minot-58701.

Thank you for following our story!