Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Birthday Girl!

There she is--our beautiful little six year old!  Natalie turned six years old yesterday, the 22nd of October.  It's impossible to believe it's been six years since she made her quiet little entry into this world.
Six years old seems so...old.  She's not a baby girl anymore, she's my big girl.  So this year, I decided to make a big girl pretty cake for my princess.
Atop her head, you will notice a pretty pink party hat.  That was a gift from Natalie's great grandma Beatrice.  She's worn it every year except for last year, when we hadn't moved back into our house just yet.  I love that hat!
Time to open presents...Natalie got tons of pretty clothes and other gifts.  Lucky girl!

Of course, her FAVORITE thing in the world is her daddy!

But the gifts are pretty nice, too!
Time to blow out the candles, and the kids love that Natalie can't do it on her own.  They're always more than willing to help out! 
Mmmm...cake!
At six years old, Natalie has come a long way.  Some people may feel badly about the fact that she doesn't walk or talk and needs complete care from us.  I don't look at it that way at all.  Look at this beautiful face...
Natalie can smile.  She has the most beautiful blue eyes, and although she can't see, I feel like she sees me.  She can express when she's unhappy, too.  I know if she's hungry or needs a new diaper.  I've always felt (quite selfishly) that Natalie, as a handicapped child, is a gift to me from the Lord.  She has made me a better, more selfless person.  I don't sweat the small stuff in life anymore.  Natalie is a constant reminder that it's not all about me.

We're so thankful for the six years we've had with Natalie...when I say she defied all odds to be with us, I'm not kidding.  The odds were always against her...but here she is today, a beautiful young girl who brightens our lives.  Happy Birthday, Natalie Beatrice Olson! 

No comments: