Pages

Monday, November 3, 2014

The Number FIVE

Today is good. Today is GREAT!

Today is a happy day.

It's been three weeks since Natalie was admitted to the hospital for...whatever it is she has. Now I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

This morning, I woke up thinking Natalie was going to have a really fantastic day...and I was right. Her sats have been so good the past couple of days, I just knew that it was time to lower her settings again. So this morning, Dr. Rogers moved her PEEP down to a 5. That's right...she skipped right from a 7 to a 5. And guess what?! She didn't even flinch.
The magic number: FIVE
She did so well, in fact, that she was given a spontaneous breathing trial this afternoon. By taking away her support, they can see how she does on room air before taking the breathing tube out. She passed that test with flying colors, as well. Unfortunately, we have to wait until at least tomorrow to take the tube out, because she's been getting regular feedings through her feeding tube all day. They want to extubate on an empty stomach, in case they need to re-intubate. That can cause her to gag and vomit, so it's best to do with an empty tummy.
The last night with the breathing tube?!?
Hopefully by this time tomorrow night, Natalie will be free from her breathing tube!

Meanwhile, my little (BIG!) guy turned FIVE years old today! Yesterday, I got to take Calvin to Chuck E. Cheese's here in Fargo, which was super exciting for him. Today, he celebrated at home. Hopefully, this is the last birthday I'll miss for a very long time.
My little jokester turned FIVE YEARS OLD today!
Overall, I'd say it's been a very happy Monday.






No comments: