Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Birthday Girl

I know I'm a day late with this post, but yesterday was a big day around here and we were having fun celebrating!

As you all know, Monday was a pretty terrible day around here, that ended with an absolute miracle. That day, I thought many times about what it would be like for us on October 22nd, Natalie's birthday. I couldn't imagine how we could make it through that day without her.

So yesterday, we celebrated in a big way with Natalie as she turned EIGHT YEARS OLD! I can't believe it's been that long since she made her way into this world, a few months too early, ready to take on life and start amazing us. She was so tiny; just two pounds, four ounces, but every bit a fighter. I still remember hearing her cry for the first time. She sounded like a kitten, and when her nurse (Laureen) brought her over to me, I didn't notice her size, just her perfect little button nose and beautiful face.
Moments after birth, October 22nd, 2006
Having a preemie is scary stuff. You never know what will happen from one day to the next, so we celebrated her birthday one day at a time, then one week at a time, then on a monthly basis until she reached her first birthday.
First birthday - a big milestone!
We were so grateful to have had that day to celebrate, considering her incredibly rough ride through the NICU, which included Natalie being flown to Minneapolis to save her life. Pseudomonas ravaged her little body, to the point where the doctor told us they had done all they could for her, and it was up to her to start fighting back: and she did. It was like a walk-off grand slam in the World Series game seven. She was our little champion. 

I can't say the past eight years have been easy. Seizures, surgeries, and other obstacles have come up along the way. Caring for a handicapped child isn't easy--but it's so rewarding. We've celebrated each birthday knowing that we are lucky to have her with us. But this birthday was different, mainly because it came just two days after one of the lowest points in her life. Who wants to celebrate a birthday in a hospital, with a breathing tube in her lungs, and in critical condition?

A birthday gift for us, though...Natalie graduated from the high frequency ventilator to the regular ventilator yesterday afternoon. Her doctor had planned on keeping her on the high frequency all day, but she was doing so well, that he felt it was going to be an easy change for her, and it was.
Back to the "regular" ventilator, which is much less noisy
There are balloons and stuffed animals all over her room now, which helps to make this hospital room look festive!
Stuffed animals, balloons, cupcakes, and a big sign from the hospital make Natalie's room look so cheerful!
I'm so sad I couldn't be the one to make Natalie's cake or cupcakes, but we'll have a big birthday party for her when we get home and I've promised to make her the prettiest birthday cake ever.

Meanwhile, she received a package in the mail from her classmates in Minot...get well cards that were meant to be delivered last week in Minot, but the day they were to be delivered, she was flown to Fargo. These cards made our day. Here's a glimpse at just a few of them. My favorite is the picture of all of her classmates, with Natalie in her wheelchair in the middle. It melts my heart.
Cards from Natalie's classmates
Uncle Tim stopped by to say happy birthday, and to play a special song he wrote and recorded just for Natalie. She loves it. It speaks to what we all feel for Natalie.

Here is a link to the song...I know you'll love it, too!:
https://soundcloud.com/tcolson90/natalie-by-uncle-tim

Uncle Tim stopped by
Natalie's brothers also came by to celebrate with her. The balloons were a big hit for Dexter.
Balloons!
She heard the birthday song many times yesterday, but I'm glad the boys were there to sing it to her, too.
At the end of the day, I got a nice snuggle in with her, the best gift of all. 
Snuggle time
All in all, it was a pretty special day. What a blessing to be the parent of such an incredible girl. I'm running out of adjectives to describe her.

So here's an update on her condition today: 

She's still on the regular ventilator, and they're slowly adjusting the settings to allow her to do more of the breathing on her own. Her sats are a little up and down, mainly because she's got a lot of mucus they are still pulling out of her lungs. She seems very comfortable, despite the fact that they're backing off of the sedation and pain medication a bit. Her eyes are open, and she looks around (although she's blind, so she doesn't see anything but shadows and light). It's nice to see her so alert again. 

She's headed in the right direction, but this hospital stay is far from over. Please continue your prayers that her lungs will heal and she will start to do more effective breathing on her own.

I think the plan is to keep her on the ventilator until at least tomorrow. Who knows what will happen after that? We'll see if she has more surprises in store for us in the days to come!

4 comments:

Laura said...

8 years ago, I was given a prayer request for your sweet Natalie when I was running a prayer site in honor of my premature nephews, Asher and Jacob. I prayed for your daughter daily and a couple years ago my computer broke down and I lost your website link. I have never stopped praying for your family however, but never found your page again. Today, one of my colleagues, a pastor in your area, posted a prayer request for your family on Facebook. I broke downs in tears with joy for finding your family again but also devastation to see how sick Natalie is at the moment. Your sweet girl has a place in my heart and has for the last 8 years. Thank you for continuing to share her story; I feel God offered up a small little miracle today in reuniting me with your family's story. Please know I am praying for Natalies healing along with comfort and strength for each of you. May God hold each of you in His loving arms and surround with you peace.

Nana Mary Mo said...

You continued to all be in our prayers; even to the point of praying for the hands of those caring for her. Praying they will respond to God's leading, to use their hands according to His will to provide care, comfort and healing as He directs. I believe very strongly that God listens to all the prayers that are spoken on Natalie's behalf. Intercessory prayer is one of the greatest tools we have on earth to lift each other up, as a unified group, to our Heavenly Father, requesting His continued care and keeping of little Natalie's life here on earth. He has granted you His grace for eight years of her life, that you might get to give and receive love to and from Natalie. She has provided a venue for Calvin and Dexter to learn about the differences in people, and how to love others. You have been given such a gift in Natalie, and it is often hard to believe that God loves her so much more than even a mother could. Our continued prayers for all of you, and for God's guidance in Natalie's healing. God bless you all, Nana Mary

Unknown said...

Looks like you had quite the fun birthday Celebration, Natalie! I miss seeing you at Edison and Keep praying for you! Stay strong sweet Natalie!

God Bless!
Mrs. Skarphol

Unknown said...

So, here I sit at my little store and think to myself.....I am going to check and see how Nattie B is doing today.... Next thing I know tears are streaming down my face.... This little gal of yours has a place in my heart. The love she gives is immeasurable. God certainly has a plan for your precious little lady! I was holding up well and keeping back my tears until I saw the photos with the grandmas and grandpas and I lost it. The love we have for our grandchildren is an awesome thing. I will continue to pray for her and for all of you, as well as the people caring for her. God's blessings! Marla